iTunes just informed me that the 1.1.1 firmware is out for the iPhone. Here are the changes from the release notes:
• iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
• Louder speakerphone and receiver volume
• Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
• Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
• Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
• Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
• Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
• Support for TV Out
• Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
• New Passcode lock time intervals
• Adjustable alert volume.
I’m installing it right now, and will see how it plays with my third-party apps.
Well, I finished the 150+ meg download and install to the iPhone. Looks like I lost all my third-party native apps, but nothing actually got broken. The iTunes store works very well over WiFi – the search is almost instant, and the preview of the song starts very quickly as well.
I seem to have lost a few of my settings, like 24h time, but overall, the upgrade went just fine. Now, I just have to wait for Nullriver and friends to come up with a new version of the Installer.app install, iBrickr, and other nice toys to work with this new firmware update. Or, pass me a winning lottery ticket so I can quit work and lend a hand!
Now this is pretty cool. MovableType now has an iPhone plugin. When you log in to your MT control panel from an iPhone, you get a nice iPhone-optimized interface automatically. This post was written using this new iPhone plugin – will edit in a bit from a PC to add a link to the plugin.
The T-Mobile prepaid Sidekick data plan claims to have unlimited data and domestic SMS. But! This does not include the “short SMS codes”. So, you are unable to use things like Twitter, Textmarks, Google’s SMS service, or anything else that uses these handy short SMS codes.